Events

Lecture Series

Titanic in Music and Story

Sunday April 15, 2018 at 3:00pm 

Doors will open at 2:00pm and Friends docents will provide tours prior to the concert.

Commemorating the 106th anniversary of the sinking of RMS Titanic on April 15, 1912, this program will feature John W. W. Sherer, organist and director of music at Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago.  Sherer, who has been hailed by critics as "a terrific musician, a pronounced virtuoso who plays with assurance, authority and superb energy," will perform music from 1912, music heard aboard Titanic, and music written to honor those lost, while telling riveting and heartbreaking stories behind the fateful voyage and the 1,500 victims.  

A reception following will feature selected items from the last menu served to first class passengers.  Period attire welcome and a ship's wheel will be installed for photo opportunities.

Co-sponsored by Glessner House Museum, Friends of Historic Second Church, and the Greater Chicago Chapter of the Victorian Society in America.

Tickets are $25.00.

 To purchase tickets go to: https://www.glessnerhouse.org/tickets/titanic-in-music-and-story

Friends' Members can receive a coupon code by emailing historic2ndchurch@yahoo.com 

Tours

Basement to Belfry in collaboration with Chicago Architecture Biennial - SOLD OUT!!!!!!!

Saturday January 6, 2017 10:00AM to 12:00PM

Architect Nate Lielasus will provide a Basement to Belfry tour of the church. During this inaugural tour at Second Prebyterian, guests will be given a behind the scenes look at areas of the church not typically visited on regular tours, from the basement dirt floor to the charred roof timbers. The tour will focus on original architectural features from the 1874 construction and evidence of changes during Shaw's reconstruction. 

To reserve a space on the tour please submit payment in the amount of $20 per person to:

Friends of Historic Second Church

1936 S. Michigan Ave.

Chicago, IL 60616

 

*All photos by Martin Cheung unless otherwise noted

*Interior sanctuary photo by James Caulfield